With a good month of winter still under way, you are probably up to your ears in sweaters. It is always fun to keep a drawer full of sweaters on hand, since you never know when a chill might hit you. After all, they are so warm and cozy, and seem to hug you just perfectly. But sometimes, I will pull out one of my favorite cozy knit sweaters only to realize it
A.) doesn’t fit anymore or
B.) has become damaged with a hole or stain.
Such a bummer! So I guess that means off to the garbage can it goes, right?
Wait! Don’t toss that sweater just yet! A sturdy, cable knit sweater can be an excellent addition to your crafting and creating supplies! How you ask? Believe it or not, a sweater can live a productive life well after enduring a hole or stain. Want to learn more? Grab a sweater, a good pair of scissors, and pull up a chair! Here are a few ideas on how you can put that old sweater to good use!
7 Creative Uses for an Old Sweater:
1. Candleholder Cozie- Take a favorite vase or candle holder, preferably cylinder or sphere shaped. Measure the height of the vase and cut the sleeve of the sweater that length plus two inches. Pull the piece of sweater of the vessel, folding over the two additional inches at the top. This also works well with any type of vase that you can them fill with flowers.
2. Easy Leg Warmers- Simply cut the sleeves off the sweater and slip on over your ankles for instant, cozy leg warmers. Finish the look by re-enacting a scene of Flashdance in your kitchen! Or not!
3. Rosettes- Cut the sweater into strips and wrap into circles to create rosettes. These rosettes can be glued to hair accessories, pins and worn as broaches, or sewn on to bags and clothing as accents. They can add not only instant color, but instant charm as well!
4. Upcyled Sweater Pillows– The brighter the sweater, the more perfect it is for this project! With a few easy snips ans stitches your sweater transforms into the sweetest pillow. Simply cut into two squares and stitch the edges closed, leaving a few inches for stuffing. You can either add an old sweater for the stuffing or use simple cotton batting. Sew up and fluff when finished. Perfect!
5. Pet Bedding- Animals love a place to pay their head that is soft and cozy too! Stuff the insides of a sweater with batting for an instant pet bed, or just give them the sweater to add to their bedding. They will love how soft it is, and that it smells like you! You can also consider donating old sweaters to animal shelters for them to use as bedding material.
6. Catnip Toys- Simply snip the sweater into small squares, fill with catnip, and stitch closed to create a small pillow. Give it to your feline friend who will love squeezing it and playing with it. Again, even if you don’t have pets you can make these as gifts or to donate to a local shelter.
7. Make Cleaning Scraps- Extra rags can always be used for cleaning jobs. The extra soft fibers in a sweater are perfect for your polishing needs. Bring windows to a sparkling shine, silver to a mirror finish, and more! Just cut your old sweater into squares and use as you would a paper towel. Wash and reuse as much as you need!
So have fun with that sweater! With a few supplies and a little time, you can transform your sweater into something new, useful, and super budget savvy! Plus, you are saving a little extra rubbish from the landfill, and that is always an excellent thing!