Peaches are in season right now so it’s the perfect time to make frugal desserts like peach turnovers. Since I had an abundance of fresh peaches I decided to try my hand at them.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 lbs fresh peaches (approximately 5 large peaches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Powdered Sugar (mix with a few drops water) – for icing
- Peel and slice the peaches.
- Combine the sugar, water, and cornstarch in a pot cooking over a medium heat until the mixture bubbles.
- Then add the butter.
- Once the butter melts add the peaches.
- Cook the peaches on a medium low heat for 8 minutes.
- Let the peaches cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out the pastry sheets on a floured surface and then cut each sheet in to 4 rectangles.
- Place the peach filling on half of each rectangle and then fold to make a triangle. Press the sides together (I used a fork to score the edges). Be careful not to put too much filling on the pastry (I had to remove some).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Then drizzle each turnover with icing.
The peaches were extremely naturally sweet. Next time I think I would use half the amount of sugar. The peach turnovers were delicious – especially when paired with some vanilla ice cream.